Sunday, April 05, 2009

There and Back Again. Chapter Nine. Wet Cave

After we finish going through the Wonambi Fossil Centre (after having a snack and a cup of tea) we then proceeded to the Wet Cave.

The Wet Cave has huge caverns and the main entrance is down through a roof collapse. Fortunately, there are stairs that wind down into the cave. And from there, you are on your own.

Well, not really. There is a motion sensor lighting system set up, and all the various "squeezes" are roped off. If you do the "Adventure Caving" tours, this cave is where you will start. In fact as we left I got to see a group coming out of what seemed to be an impossibly narrow cleft. I've since found out there are loads of other chambers that are accessible via Wet Cave on the "Adventure Caving" tours.

Next time I WILL be doing that!

The chambers in the Wet Cave are massive. They are so big that in either this cave or the Blanche Cave there used to be "soirees" or "balls" down in the caves. The acoustics must have been awesome! I've read conflicting reports about which cave the parties 100 years ago occurred, so any help figuring that out would be helpful, ta.

Before I give you the slideshow of the pictures WP took, I need to tell you that I can see in the dark.

I'm serious.

I can.

If there is light, I can see darned well. I've even written a post about it a few years ago, but I don't have the time to find it right now (I'm making dinner as I type this). But trust me, I can see in the dark.

You'll notice that I have my prescription sunglasses on in these photos that WP took. Why? Cus there was enough light in this cave so that I didn't even notice that I hadn't changed to my other pair.

Just another way to rose-tint my world, eh?

Oh, and I want some feedback about the slideshows. Do you prefer the slideshows or fullsize pics on the blog or thumbnails on the blog. Lemme know, eh?

Speaking of that, here's a link to the thumbnails of WP's pics of the wet cave.

And here's her slideshow:




I have to run, I've got spanish rice on, shredded mex pork, homemade refried beans going, WP will be chopping the salad, and I'm serving it up with homebrewed cervaza.

Oh, and the wild parrots are outside calling me names...

2 comments:

LoveANewIdea said...

This was my favorite group of photos so far...gorgeous shots.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

These caverns were muge bigger than the ones in the other caves. I'm glad we did this one.