Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Guacamole

I tell ya, folks down here DO NOT know how to make guacamole sauce. Fortunately, I do! Do you know that they add SUGAR! Sacrilege! They also sometimes use cream cheese and green food colouring --BLARF! I've even been to one "Mexican" restaurant down here and they made the margaritas with LEMON juice instead of LIME!

I'm sure that every single one of you have your own way of making guacamole, so please don't think this is the only way to make it. Besides, each region and village south of the Rio Grande make it different from their neighbors.

I'm also giving you some alternative ingredients to add in --bonus for you!

My Basic Guacamole Sauce:

What you knead:

3 really ripe avocados (really really ripe)
Juice from one lime (or 1 tbsp lime juice)
Handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
1 tsp of cumin powder
1 to 4 tsp chilli powder (cayenne powder)
1 or 2 cloves of crushed garlic


What you due:

Do I really need to tell you this? Ok here goes: Slice the avocados in half, pop out the stone (tap it with a sharp knife, the stone pops out on the knife blade), and scoop the ripe pulp out into a bowl. Chuck in the rest of the ingredients, then go to town on it with a potato masher until it's all combined. Make it in the morning, then let it stand till ready to use in the evening.

See? Wasn't that easy?

A tip: if your avocados aren't as ripe as you thought, still scoop the pulp into a bowl and slice it quickly with a knife before mashing.


Now's the fun part: Additional goodies! I wouldn't suggest trying all of the additional stuff at the same time though... Just sayin'.

Additional ingredients:

Dried chilli flakes (as much or as little as you'd like; they're your taste buds)
Minced bell pepper (capsicum) --any color you'd like and roasted or not
Finely chopped fresh tomato
Sun-dried tomato --chopped
A tbsp or two of mexican seasoning (any brand you prefer)
Grated parmesan cheese
Finely minced fresh onion
Chives --dried or fresh
Chopped garlic greens --if you don't grow your own garlic, these can be hard to find


Another tip: if you've made it too spicy, then add a bit of cream to it, no worries.


I'm working on the creek story from my childhood in Los Anchorage (adutlhood was in Squarebanks) and it could turn into a two or three parter. However, I wanted to get this up as it's now lunchtime and the pool water is 26 C (79 F) and the sun is shining.

UPDATE

I forgot a pinch or two of salt in the basic sauce, oops...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good god how do people eat and drink stuff like that? SACRILEGE! LOL

That is my basic guac, too. I'm not a fan of guac, but I will eat it. I do prefer a bit of black pepper in mine (because I'm addicted to black pepper) and I add salt (yanno coz the tortilla chips I make aren't salty enough.) I make my own tortillas, then cut them up, butter them and bake them...when they come out, I sprinkle on some salt. ZOMG *dies* I love those things. Maybe a bit too much.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Oop, forgot the salt in the basic! and the black pepper in the optional! I'm slipping...

I also make my own chips, usually making corn tortilla chips.

Good to hear from you, where ya been?

Jennifer said...

I hate corn tortillas. LOL Corn is against my religion. Okay not really but I don't like the smell of corn. Yuck.

I've been around here and there. I suck at commenting on blogs. I live for my Bloglines so I can keep up with everyone and spy on them. Muahahahaaaaa

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Keeewuuuullll! My very first lurker! Too bad I know who it is, sigh...

So, like, it I ever need to gross you out I can just put up a corn recipe? LOL!