Monday, September 01, 2008

Sarah Palin

is NOT the subject of this blog post. She does however have a semi-secret admirer/wannabe boytoy in Kodiak, Alaska. I just thought that since I'd lived in Alaska over a 5 decade span that perhaps I should say something about her. There, I said it.

The above is my political statement for the decade.

Now, on with the birdie pics! Do you ever wonder what type of food cockatoos LOVE? Well, they'll tear an almond tree to shreds in 30 seconds flat --I've timed it. The flock descends upon an almond tree just as the almonds are about to ripen. The shells still have their green fuzz on them, and the almond is nice and chewy. Here's proof:

Here he is doing the canoe job on the almond:
cockatoo eating almond 01

Those are big claws...
cockatoo eating almond 02

Where's my bib?
cockatoo eating almond 03

Very interesting tongue...
cockatoo eating almond 04

cockatoo eating almond 05
If you don't get that camera out of my face then this will be your finger!

Round two:
cockatoo eating almond 06
This is MINE! You can not have it!

3 comments:

Fizzgig said...

beautiful shots! I envy the birds. I'd love to devour an almond tree myself. Well, honestly the almonds, thats too much work for the food.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

It's interesting that they go for them when the almonds are unripe. I think they like the nut soft and pulpy-like.

I'll see about getting some video next time.

Ellie Finlay said...

Hi, Dave.

You are an amazing photographer. Just gorgeous pictures!

And I like your approach to humor! :-)