Saturday, December 13, 2008

What Kind Of Bird...

Yup, here's another post where you get to hone your research skillz to razor sharpness. Heck, a few more of these and your researching and critter identifying skillz will be a sharp as my wit!

Before I get to the critter, I've just gotta tell you we are up to 106 tomatoes harvested so far. 202 still on the vines, and more appearing daily. Tonight's dinner will be bruschetta with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden, a tossed salad with lots of tomato and basil, and mexican risolles with a fresh tomato salsa for topping.

I've also been tagged! However, she who tagged me still hasn't completed hers with all the rules, so I'll have to wait. Sigh...

Now, I *sure* you'll all recognize this bird due to the distinctive pose they strike. However, you need to find out just what KIND of cormorant it is.

cormorant 01

cormorant 02

cormorant 03



I'll even give you a hint: it's the kind that nests in trees.

5 comments:

Marie said...

I thought all of the little buggers nested in trees.

Hmmm...resisting the very easy temptation to partake in a series of shag jokes.....

Okay, my guess is that this is a Balfours (or "pied") Cormorant - you know, the kind they use slapped between pastry and added to pea soup to make their world famous and utterly delicious floaters. Great South Aussie delicacy, wholly unappreciated by the rest of the world.

TwoYaks said...

@Marie - Some Cormorants are ground nesters. Especially some of the tiny ones (Well, tiny for Cormorants).

I'm guessing Pied as well. I never was too good at my Cormorants, though. Never mind my non-existant Aussie bird skills.

@dave I don't think I could dull my research skillz to the level of your wit without an angle grinder. O:)

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

It's the kind I would like to shoot. Actually I would like to shoot all cormorants. They like to sit on people's masts and crap all over the boats. Here in La Paz, I have to chase the frigate birds off of the spreaders... They leave huge messes.

Ishmael said...

My bird book only as Alaskan birds.... so my only guess is Pelagic Cormorant. Or Red-eye (or was it yellowbill?) Hmmm.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Marie: Well, I guess now we know the secret ingredient in Balfour's Meat Pies! LOL! Pied... *snicker*. Aussie meat pies and pasty's and sausage rolls are great things, almost as good as aussie bbq sausages --I love the sausage sizzles at Bunnings every weekend. The rest of the world can learn a lot from aussie food! Meat pies and vegemite rule!

KC: Yup, it's as Pied Cormorant. Hmmmm, apparantly some of my jokes and puns aren't appreciated... *sniffle*

SV Meerkat: You know Meerkat, those two humans that you let hang around with you are rather amusing, eh? But, since they clean your decks, paint your bottom, and repair your sails and rigging when needed, I suppose you should let them stay.

Ish: Good guess, but the Pelagics don't make it down to this neck of the woods. But you get an A for effort!