Monday, October 06, 2008

One Billion Happy Little Vegemite Jars

Wow! Can you believe the news? 1,000,000,000 jars of vegemite have now rolled off the assembly line. Folks, that's a LOT of B vitamins! 



But wait, I can hear you say, "What's vegemite?"

My answer: I'll send you a google :)

Seriously, just do your due diligence.

And just what does the f(ph)rase, "Happy Little Vegemite" have to do with anything? I'd suggest going to google to figure that one out.

We are happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,

We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea,

Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week,

Because we love our Vegemite,
We all adore our Vegemite,

It puts a rose in every cheek!


*I just used blobbers (owned by google) spell-checker... They don't know vegemite!*

I could spout off random blabberings extolling the virtues of vegemite, but I'm not going to. Why? Cus those of you who hate it won't change your minds no matter what I say, I'd be preaching to the choir to those of you who love the stuff, and if you are indifferent to vegemite then you probably don't have access to it.

Wait a sec... I WILL try to convert the heathen scum who hate vegemite!

See, you're not supposed to slather the stuff on your toast or crackers like peanut butter of nutella. YOU ARE ONLY TO USE SMALL AMOUNTS!!!! If you do that, it'll taste great.

We are happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,

We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea,

Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week,

Because we love our Vegemite,
We all adore our Vegemite,

It puts a rose in every cheek!


Vegemite also goes very very very well with butter on toast. In fact, our jar of vegemite has butter streaks in it cus we use the same knife for both. This also means that our butter has brown streaks in it... Yes, I'm disgusting, thankyouverymuch.

Oh, alright. Sigh. I'll give you a link:

Vegemite History

And look! Here's an excerpt:

What is Vegemite?

Vegemite is considered as much a part of Australia's heritage as kangaroos and the Holden cars. It is actually an Australian obsession that has become a unique and loved symbol of the Australian nation.

A Vegemite sandwich to an Australian kid is the equivalent of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to an American kid - but the taste is QUITE different!

Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. It is very dark reddish-brown, almost black, in color, and one of the richest sources known of Vitamin B. It's thick like peanut butter, it's very salty, and it tastes like - well let's just say that it is an acquired taste!

Australian children are brought up on Vegemite from the time they're babies. It is said that Australians are known to travel all over the world with at least one small jar of Vegemite in their luggage, for fear that they will not be able to find it.


And I just couldn't resist reposting this blokes comment:

Your explanation is mostly fine, but some of us like a fair coating of the stuff, not just a scrape. I'll eat it out of the jar! But one of the most useful tips to give any cook, is how it can save an anemic gravy: When a gravy lacks colour or flavour, a quarter to a half teaspoon or so always saves the day. Young-uns often wonder why my gravy is always so good; and if they're nice, I let them in on the secret that my Grandma told me. Funny to think my family has used a product since it was invented. Thanks for the history lesson, and try Vegemite in your gravy, you'll love it!

You might like to know that when the company sold overseas, it was cause for national concern...everybody was outraged, and worried that "the Yanks would stuff-it-up". People were ringing radio stations calling for the government to stop the sale. Private citizens were trying to raise funds to make a counter offer...you wouldn't believe the furor it created.

Another favourite use of my Mum's, when she felt run-down, was vegemite 'soup'; just a teaspoon of vegemite in boiling water. I used to like thinly sliced raw cabbage, garlic and vegemite sandwiches. (Sounds terrible, but very healthy and yummy.) Every kid in Australia ate Vegemite on SAO biscuits; often with tomato, and, or cheese. This combo is particularly yummy grilled as an open sandwich with Kraft sliced cheese, (the way it bubbles up and browns-off...yum!)

I'm an easy going old bloke, and I have a young lodger who gets away with murder because I "don't give a rats" about money or anything - you could hit me with a cricket bat and I'd blink at you, LOL - anyway, he used the last of the Vegemite the other month...God he was lucky I didn't rip his head off, LOL. Now I keep an emergency jar hidden away for myself, just in case.

Growing-up, only 'pommies and wankers' ate marmite; I still haven't tasted it (excuse the language.) We all agreed the best pies were "Sergeants pies", though we'd eat "Four and Twenty" if that was all we could get. People argued about Ford and Holden; and we're still arguing about which code of football is best...but apart from cricket, vegemite is one of the great unifying forces - no matter your politics or standing in life, we all love our Vegemite.

What ever you do, don't muck with the recipe too much, or you can forget about being allies. LOL.

NB. It was a national tragedy the day that Sergeants stopped baking pies. People went around buying-up the last run, and freezing them. It was very sad I remember; we mourned their passing for years, quite literally. The new ones are ok, but not a patch on the original. (Aussies used to have them flown overseas when touring.) It's the highest praise for a pie to say it's almost as good as a Sergeants.


Back to the show --cus it must go on.

How do I eat vegemite? Well, my MIL needs to have the crusts trimmed off of her toast (from my homemade bread that I make every other day and she will eat no other!) so there's always these toasted crusts left on the counter next to the vegemite jar. It was a pretty simple idea (from yours truly) to use the crusts as scoops in the vegemite jar. Mmmmmmm, adds to the flavor of the 4 day old warehouse coffee... Oops, didn't need that stomach anyways!

We are happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,

We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea,

Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week,

Because we love our Vegemite,
We all adore our Vegemite,

It puts a rose in every cheek!


Now onto the real reason why y'all visit my wee little corner of the blogosphere: NAKED SARAH PALIN PICTURES!

where's trig
Trig! Where are you? Trig, are ya down here?

Hmmmm, I think someone is getting upset...
aloof sarah palin

Is Sarah Palin giving me the cold shoulder? Tune in next time to find out if Sarah and I make up or if she pecks my eyeballs out and attacks my cat!

No comments: